Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chick-fil-A and the Gospel

I've seen the debates that seem to now be intensifying between those in Christendom who want to back off of the perceived view of "us vs. them", but, I think they're cutting off their nose to spite their face.  They want to be reasoned and I can respect that, when it comes to civility, but that is where the argument is turned on its head.  This hasn't been an "us vs. them" campaign, it really has been a tongue in cheek, kind of humorous, argument to make, that is anything but a challenge to a homosexuals right to be.  I've never heard of any alternative lifestyle person getting the boot from a Chick-fil-A.

There are those who are more militant in their views on both sides of the argument.  The case could be made against either side, could it not?  There has been, I would say, a plethora of information that inundates us on a daily basis about the gay lifestyle, this coming from an estimated 2% of the population.  I'm encouraged to see something done, in the public view, that makes the case for a traditional marriage and if you think that the only way to do this is through respectful dialogue and mutual understanding, then your fighting the wrong argument in this case.  To me I see the Enemy stepping on his own toes and making a fool of himself.

But, here is the rub, how do we respectfully disagree in today's society?  Can we not say, "show up here on this certain day" and people show up for a specific purpose, could it be softball game, a dance recital, church.  Shouldn't the purpose for showing up at any of them be God's glory?

Going to CFA isn't really the issue, it is, what am I doing with any of the homosexual persons in my path? I have two.  One of the commentators on a blog post thanked the author for "reigning in" our militant march to CFA, really?  Well, Jesus would most likely take a homosexual to CFA and buy them a chicken sandwich. :)

Do I want it to detract from the truth of the Gospel as displayed in Christ?  No. I think that is a straw man argument, one that in itself, because it assumes that those who are going to CFA are only going because they're against homosexuals, is fallacious.  What if some are going to support Dan Cathy?  What if they're going because they want to "do good" to a brother - Gal. 6:10?  So, I guess I won't stomp to CFA, but, I'll go, a little earlier than normal, its normally my Thursday night thing. :)

Boasting in the gospel,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment