Friday, April 27, 2012

Mormon Questions



Hello,

This is a response, wanted it to be more thoughtful than a thread in a comments section that became a bit too long. So, if you are here, especially Rockgod28, I appreciate you coming.

So, my question that I posed, if the Book of Mormon and the Bible contradicted each other which one would you reject? So, I showed that there is one glaring point that they do contradict one another. The simple verse of Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." The B of M doesn't say the same thing, it says, "after all we can do".

Below I will respond to the comments inbetween the lines:

*********************************************************************************
I am very well thank you. I am obedient to the commandment of Jesus Christ to be perfect because of
the grace of Jesus Christ...I remain perfected in Christ as long as I keep the commandments of God.

*********************************************************************************

This is a contradiction of epic proportions. What did Jesus say to the "rich man" -
"He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me."
Matthew 19:18-21


So, Jesus definition of perfection, I don't think reaches to you, does it? Let's see, so, "Thou shalt do no murder", Jesus said, if you think a wicked thought in your heart or mind against someone, maybe me. :) What did he say?

Matthew 5:22, "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

So, have you been angry with your brother? Not just lately or in the last hour but ever, this isn't a circle back around, remember, "be ye perfect as your father in heaven is perfect". Does he have any deficiency that makes him not perfect for awhile? He doesn't say, "be ye somewhat perfect according to your own standards according to your own rules", he says, "be ye perfect".

So, easy, you've never been impatient, you've loved everyone, you never have missed a church meeting? I'm just judging you by your own standards, not really even God's standards.

*********************************************************************************
The “after all we can
do” of 2 Nephi 25:23 is keep the commandments of God.
*********************************************************************************

So flippant, I mean really, its like saying that the holocaust was just a big misunderstanding. See above, how did the rich young ruler stand up under Jesus questioning? He thought good but he went away sad. Why? That is what I'm trying to avoid for you. See, my works come as a result of grace working through faith, in Christ, so that I cannot boast. I'm not perfect! But, I can point you to the one who is perfect, Jesus Christ. You're putting the emphasis on your works having some salvific quality, they aren't, at all!


Again, I'll ask you the question, have you broken one commandment of God?

"For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." James 2:10

According to your own beliefs you stand condemned as a law breaker, you haven't fulfilled it all and let me say, your judgments are by your own standards. "Be ye perfect" not halfway, God doesn't understand our relative notions of truth, He is perfect and the standard that he sets is impossible but intentionally.

********************************************************************************
Why is the bar so
high? How can we endure such things as
sorrow, sickness, pain and temptations that easily try to overcome us?
********************************************************************************

Not sure if this is a statement, rhetorical question or what. I think the bar is high, very high, impossibly high. Look at it behold it, Isaiah saw it and was undone, Job saw it and became as a man who did not open his mouth. They saw the bar and it was so high that they thought they were done but for a holy God having mercy on them they were saved. They weren't giving this, "well God, let me tell you how perfect I've been, let me list off my works of righteousness that I've done." What did they do? They became dependent wholly on grace, Isaiah got the coal to his lips, Job got the mercies of God displayed in another family and being richer than he was before. What did they do for it? Nothing. Nada.

*********************************************************************************
It is not easy to be a
Mormon. It is hard compared to other
religions and practices.

What do Mormons strive
for if it is not “Grace”?
*********************************************************************************

My friend, this makes my heart hurt for you. I really and truly believe that Mormons, if you look at it, have enjoyed more freedoms than at any other time, look at one of your own running for the highest office in the land. Folks in the 1800's didn't ever think that would've been possible, they were truly persecuted and I'll give you that.
This is the problem and I stated it in the thread of comments, yours is a religion of do, mine is a relationship of DONE. See you strive for grace, I already have it, there is nothing for me to strive for and to have the approval of my Heavenly Father is beyond my scope to believe but I believe it because it is in His Word.
BTW, it isn't a cakewalk to be a Christian nowadays, look at the pastor in Iran, thrown in jail and has been there all for the reason that he claims the name of Christ. If he was "striving" for grace, why be there? Striving for acceptance, striving for approval? Really? Is that what the disciples were doing when they were crucified upside down? Or, were their lives so radically changed by the grace of God that they would do anything to see the message of the true Gospel spread to the world? I think we know the answer.

I'll sign off for now....

Boasting in the true Gospel that saves completely.

Tim










No comments:

Post a Comment