Monday, January 9, 2012

God's grace to Abraham

I love reading through the Word and seeing the grace of God.  Today it was Abrams turn, I guess this is always his "time of the year".  You know, I wonder if they're in heaven somewhere, some corner, albeit self absorbed one, I know - contradiction in terms - but go with me, where Abraham...BTW that is his name now...but you know they get together and start jazzing each other?  "Hey, check it out 'Abram', I mean 'Abraham', they're reading about you now, but don't get too happy, they'll be through soon enough, where's Joseph - get out here man!"

Okay, so now you know what goes on in my mind, don't ask too many questions.  But, here is Abram in the Ur of the Chaldees with his father Terah.  God is moving all of history into place as he calls to Abram, out of the middle of nowhere, "Abram", "Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house..."  Wow, just think about it, here is an idol worshipping-polygamist-slave owner, just to give perspective and God calls him.  Well, let me correct myself, the Bible doesn't say anything about him being a polygamist just yet, that happens later in Chapter 16.  I know, he was progressively working it out. :)

But that God called and spoke, again, into history and moved hearts to hear him.  Then, the kicker is, before Abram did anything, God says, "I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed."  Again, just imagine this, God says, "this is what I'm going to do" and He does it, he doesn't make Abraham a perfectly moral being, we know that because of Chapter 16.  We do have v. 4, "So Abram went...", yes he did, aside from the obvious Word that we have and God's directing of all things, he obeyed.  Imagine, you have a voice, from God, say, "Abram, I'm going to bless you and bless those that bless you and anyone who fools with you fools with me."  How would you react?  Okay, lets do this thing but what do I do?

What would you do?  I don't think that Abram knew completely what he was doing but that it was a gracious God that he was listening to.  Think about it, here is a God who is going to bless and defend him and ultimately make of him a nation that would be more that the sand of the seashore.  That is incredible and if you think about it, completely crazy, and something that if God would reveal it to Abram, just a little chunk of that he did reveal in Gen. 15:12-16, all at once would've blown his mind.  Think about Romans 11:33-36, "how unfathomable his ways..."  If God revealed to us everything that is happening or will happen it would blow our minds.

This is my point, where were you when God called you?  You had nothing, c'mon, admit it, you might have the pedigree, born in a Christian family, first Sunday - in the nursery, grown up all your life under the teachings of Christianity but you're no better than where Abraham was at.  God calls each of us out of the desert of our lives to invest it in the One who has revealed the Grace of God in the most amazing way possible, the Cross.  God calls each of us from that place of reliance's on what we can see to a grace that He calls us to daily, I will bless you, I love you, you are mine...look to My Son, BELIEVE!

Do you believe like Abram did?  Do you hear him calling?  That is Him and if you hear him, do not harden your heart, believe!

Boasting in His grace,

Tim



No comments:

Post a Comment